[slurm-users] GPUs not available after making use of all threads?

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:28:55 UTC 2023

Diego,

Not to start a debate, I guess it is in how you look at it.

 From Intel's descriptions:

How does Hyper-Threading work? When Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology is
active, the CPU exposes two execution contexts per physical core. This
means that one physical core now works like two “logical cores” that can
handle different software threads. The ten-core Intel® Core™ i9-10900K
<https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/i9-desktop-processors-for-gaming.html>processor,
for example, has 20 threads when Hyper-Threading is enabled.

Two logical cores can work through tasks more efficiently than a
traditional single-threaded core. /By taking advantage of idle time when
the core would formerly be waiting for other tasks to complete/, Intel®
Hyper-Threading Technology improves CPU throughput (by up to 30% in
server applications^3 ).

So if we are creating code that is hypothetically 100% efficient (it can
use the CPU 100% of the time), there would be no 'idle' time for another
process. If work is done on that other process, it would be at the
expense of the 100% efficiency enjoyed by our 'perfect' process.

Of course, the true performance answer lies in how any of the processes
work, which is why some of us do so many experimental runs of jobs and
gather timings. We have yet to see a 100% efficient process, but folks
are improving things all the time.

Brian Andrus