[slurm-users] slurm and singularity

Jeffrey T Frey frey at udel.edu
Wed Feb 8 15:01:33 UTC 2023

You may need srun to allocate a pty for the command.  The InteractiveStepOptions we use (that are handed to srun when no explicit command is given to salloc) are:

--interactive --pty --export=TERM

E.g. without those flags a bare srun gives a promptless session:

[(it_nss:frey)@login00.darwin ~]$ salloc -p idle srun /opt/shared/singularity/3.10.0/bin/singularity shell /opt/shared/singularity/prebuilt/postgresql/13.2.simg
salloc: Granted job allocation 3953722
salloc: Waiting for resource configuration
salloc: Nodes r1n00 are ready for job
ls -l
total 437343
-rw-r--r--  1 frey it_nss      180419 Oct 26 16:56 amd.cache
-rw-r--r--  1 frey it_nss          72 Oct 26 16:52 amd.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 frey everyone       715 Nov 12 23:39 anaconda-activate.sh
drwxr-xr-x  2 frey everyone         4 Apr 11  2022 bin
   :

With the --pty flag added:

[(it_nss:frey)@login00.darwin ~]$ salloc -p idle srun --pty /opt/shared/singularity/3.10.0/bin/singularity shell /opt/shared/singularity/prebuilt/postgresql/13.2.simg
salloc: Granted job allocation 3953723
salloc: Waiting for resource configuration
salloc: Nodes r1n00 are ready for job
Singularity>