[slurm-users] Advanced reservations inc memory

Will Furnass w.furnass at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 15:01:56 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Seems that memory can't be reserved as part of advanced reservations:

$ sudo -i scontrol create reservationname=testres1 start=now
duration=259200 account=testacct tres=node=1,cpu=20,mem=96G
scontrol: error: TRES type 'mem' not supported with reservations

$ srun --version
slurm 22.05.6

Anyone got suggestions for ways around this?  Haven't spotted any
suggestions in the `scontrol` man page or on
https://slurm.schedmd.com/reservations.html.

Background: someone wants to reserve _half_ a node in our general
purpose partition.  I could create a qos for ring-fencing half the
resources of a node, but it would then be fiddly/difficult allowing
general access to the other half of the node.

 Cheers,

Will

--
Dr Will Furnass | Research Platforms Engineer
IT Services | University of Sheffield