[slurm-users] Terminating Jobs based on GrpTRESMins

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Mon Apr 24 17:55:15 UTC 2023

On 24-04-2023 18:33, Hoot Thompson wrote:
> In my reading of the Slurm documentation, it seems that exceeding the
> limits set in GrpTRESMins should result in terminating a running job.
> However, in testing this, The ‘current value’ of the GrpTRESMins only
> updates upon job completion and is not updated as the job progresses.
> Therefore jobs aren’t being stopped. On the positive side, no new jobs
> are started if the limit is exceeded. Here’s the documentation that is
> confusing me…..

I think the jobs resource usage will only be added to the Slurm database
upon job completion.  I believe that Slurm doesn't update the resource
usage continually as you seem to expect.

> If any limit is reached, all running jobs with that TRES in this group
> will be killed, and no new jobs will be allowed to run.
>
> Perhaps there is a setting or misconfiguration on my part.

The sacctmgr manual page states:

> GrpTRESMins=TRES=<minutes>[,TRES=<minutes>,...]
> The total number of TRES minutes that can possibly be used by past, present and future jobs running from this association and its children.  To clear a previously set value use the modify command with a new value of -1 for each TRES id.
>
> NOTE: This limit is not enforced if set on the root association of a cluster.  So even though it may appear in sacctmgr output, it will not be enforced.
>
> ALSO NOTE: This limit only applies when using the Priority Multifactor plugin.  The time is decayed using the value of PriorityDecayHalfLife or PriorityUsageResetPeriod as set in the slurm.conf.  When this limit is reached all associated jobs running will be killed and all future jobs submitted with associations in the group will be delayed until they are able to run inside the limit.

Can you please confirm that you have configured the "Priority
Multifactor" plugin?

Your jobs should not be able to start if the user's GrpTRESMins has been
exceeded.  Hence they won't be killed!

Can you explain step by step what you observe?  It may be that the above
documentation of killing jobs is in error, in which case we should make
a bug report to SchedMD.

/Ole