[slurm-users] Submit sbatch to multiple partitions

Ward Poelmans ward.poelmans at vub.be
Mon Apr 17 14:26:17 UTC 2023

Hi Xaver,

On 17/04/2023 11:36, Xaver Stiensmeier wrote:

> let's say I want to submit a large batch job that should run on 8 nodes.
> I have two partitions, each holding 4 nodes. Slurm will now tell me that
> "Requested node configuration is not available". However, my desired
> output would be that slurm makes use of both partitions and allocates
> all 8 nodes.

It depends on what you mean here. If you want a single jobs to be able to use all nodes in both partitions, have a look at HET jobs: https://slurm.schedmd.com/heterogeneous_jobs.html

If you want to let a job be able to start in multiple partitions, this can be done by specifying a list of partitions on job submission. We let the lua job plugin script fill in a list of partitions if the user didn't specify one themselves. These partitions have different priority so we can redirect jobs to the 'optimal' partition if they resources are available.

if job_desc.partition == nil and job_desc.clusters ~= nil then
    job_desc.partition = "partition1,partition2"
end

Ward