[slurm-users] Slurmdbd High Availability

Brian Andrus toomuchit at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 15:03:11 UTC 2023

I think you mean both slurmctld servers are pointing the one slurmdbd
server.

Ole is right about the usefulness of HA, especially on slurmdbd, as
slurm will cache the writes to the database if it is down.

To do what you want, you need to look at configuring your database to be
HA. That is a different topic and would be dictated by what database
setup you are using. Understand the the backend database is a tool used
by slurm and not part of slurm. So any HA in that are needs to be done
by the database.

Once that is done, merely have 2 separate slurmdbd servers, each
pointing at the HA database. One would be primary and the other a
failover (AccountingStorageBackupHost). Although, technically, they
would both be able to be active at the same time.

Brian Andrus