[slurm-users] Detecting non-MPI jobs running on multiple nodes

Bernstein, Noam CIV USN NRL (6393) Washington DC (USA) noam.bernstein at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Sep 29 14:51:48 UTC 2022

On Sep 29, 2022, at 10:34 AM, Steffen Grunewald <steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de<mailto:steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de>> wrote:

Hi Noam,

I'm wondering why one would want to know that - given that there are
approaches to multi-node operation beyond MPI (Charm++ comes to mind)?

The thread title requested a way of detecting non-MPI jobs running on multiple nodes.  I assumed that the requester knows, maybe based on their users' software, that there are no legitimate ways for them to run on multiple nodes without MPI. Actually, we have users that run embarrassingly parallel jobs which just ssh to the other nodes and gather files, so clearly it can be done in a useful way with very low-tech approaches, but that's a n oddball (and just plain old) software package.