[slurm-users] job_time_limit: inactivity time limit reached ...

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 19 12:46:54 UTC 2022

I have had two nights where right at 3:35am a bunch of jobs were
killed early with TIMEOUT way before  their normal TimeLimit.
The slurmctld log has lots of lines like at 3:35am with

[2022-09-12T03:35:02.303] job_time_limit: inactivity time limit reached
for JobId=1636922

with jobs running on serveral different nodes.

The one curious thing is right about this time log rotation is happening
in cron on the slurmctld master node

Sep 12 03:30:02 mlsc-head run-parts[1719028]: (/etc/cron.daily) starting
logrotate
Sep 12 03:34:59 mlsc-head run-parts[1719028]: (/etc/cron.daily)
finished logrotate

The 5 minute runtime here is a big anomoly.  On other machines, like
nodes just running slurmd or my web servers, this only takes a couple of
seconds.

In /etc/logrotate.d/slurmctl I have

    postrotate
      systemctl reload slurmdbd >/dev/null 2>/dev/null || true
      /bin/sleep 1
      systemctl reload slurmctld >/dev/null 2>/dev/null || true
    endscript

Does it make sense that this could be causing the issue?

In slurm.conf I had InactiveLimit=60 which I guess is what is happening
but my reading of the docs on this setting was it only affects the
starting of a job with srun/salloc and not a job that has been running
for days.  Is it InactiveLimit that leads to the "inactivity time limit
reached" message?

Anyway, I have changed InactiveLimit=600 to see if that helps.

Paul Raines                     http://help.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
MGH/MIT/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 (2301) 13th Street     Charlestown, MA 02129	    USA

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Mass General Brigham Compliance HelpLine at https://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline <https://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline> .
Please note that this e-mail is not secure (encrypted).  If you do not wish to continue communication over unencrypted e-mail, please notify the sender of this message immediately.  Continuing to send or respond to e-mail after receiving this message means you understand and accept this risk and wish to continue to communicate over unencrypted e-mail.