[slurm-users] resource selection algorithm cons_tres ?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at math.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 13 19:27:22 UTC 2022

I'm working on an inherited Slurm cluster, and was reading through the
Slurm documentation when I found this in the Easy Configurator section
(https://slurm.schedmd.com/configurator.easy.html)

  - cons_tres: Allocate individual processors, memory, GPUs, and other
trackable resources
  - Cons_res: Allocate individual processors and memory
  - Cray XC: Cray XC systems running native Slurm without ALPS
  - Linear: Node-base resource allocation, does not manage individual
processor allocation

I don't recall cons_tres being an option in Slurm 17.x, but also don't
know how to find the old documentation to confirm.

Also, confused by this, as this appears to track GPUs, too, which
previously were configured using Gres, as in:

GresTypes=gpu
NodeName=titan-3 Gres=gpu:titanv:8 RealMemory=250000 CPUs=40
NodeName=titan-4 Gres=gpu:titanv:7 RealMemory=250000 CPUs=40

Can anyone shed some light on this?  What's the functional difference
between cons_res and cons_tres?

Thanks.