[slurm-users] Why every job will sleep 100000000

Jeffrey T Frey frey at udel.edu
Fri Nov 4 13:21:04 UTC 2022

If you examine the process hierarchy, that "sleep 100000000" process if probably the child of a "slurmstepd: [<jobid>.extern]" process.  This is a housekeeping step launched for the job by slurmd -- in older Slurm releases it would handle the X11 forwarding, for example.  It should have no impact on the other steps of the job.