[slurm-users] Interactive jobs using "srun --pty bash" and MPI

Juergen Salk juergen.salk at uni-ulm.de
Wed Nov 2 23:45:01 UTC 2022

Hi Em,

this is most probably because in Slurm version 20.11 the behaviour of srun was
changed to not allow job steps to overlap by default any more.

An interactive job launched by `srun --pty bash´ always creates a regular
step (step <jobid>.0), so mpirun or srun will hang when trying to launch another
job step from within this interactive job step as they would overlap.

You could try using the --overlap flag or `export SLURM_OVERLAP=1´
before running your interactive job to revert to the previous behavior
that allows steps to overlap.

However, instead of using `srun --pty bash´ for launching interactive jobs, it
is now recommended to use `salloc´ and have `LaunchParameters=use_interactive_step´
set in slurm.conf.

`salloc´ with `LaunchParameters=use_interactive_step´ enabled will
create a special interactive step (step <jobid>.interactive) that does not
consume any resources and, thus, does not interfere with a new job step
launched from within this special interactive job step.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Jürgen

* Em Dragowsky <dragowsky at case.edu> [221102 15:46]: