[slurm-users] Prolog and job_submit

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Nov 1 04:13:05 UTC 2022

On 10/31/22 5:46 am, Davide DelVento wrote:

> Thanks for helping me find workarounds.

No worries!

>> My only other thought is that you might be able to use node features &
>> job constraints to communicate this without the user realising.
>
> I am not sure I understand this approach.

I was just trying to think of things that could get into the Prolog that
runs as root that you could use as a signal to it. Job constraints
seemed the most reasonable choice.

> Are you saying that if the job_submit.lua can't directly add an
> environmental variable that the prolog can see, but can add the
> constraint which will become an environmental variable that the prolog
> can see?

That's correct - the difference being that Slurm, not the user, is in
control of its presence and the possible values it can have (as it's
constrained by what you've chosen for the name of the node feature).

> Would that work if that feature is available in all nodes?

Yes, that should work just fine I believe.

All the best,
Chris
--
Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA