[slurm-users] rpmbuild with custom sysconfdir not working in 21.08.8

Kevin Buckley Kevin.Buckley at pawsey.org.au
Wed May 25 06:48:47 UTC 2022

On 2022/05/25 03:08, Marko Markoc wrote:

> I have been successfully building slurm RPMs for our environment using
> rpmbuild and .rpmmacros to set up our custom sysconfdir. This has stopped
> working for me with versions 21.08.7 and 21.08.8. RPMs are created but
> sysconfdir is set up to default /etc/slurm one. 21.08.6 is the last version
> that builds correctly for me. Did anyone else experience this or does
> anyone know how to get it to work?

Looking at the files, that might have altered the behaviour in the
build system, that changed between 21.08.6 and 21.08.7, so

slurm.spec
configure.ac
Makefile.am

I can't see anything likely, within Slurm, to have altered the
behaviour.

To reinforce what Jurgen Salk wrote though, vis

> Does it work for you if you use '%_slurm_sysconfdir' instead of
> '%_sysconfdir' macro in your .rpmmacros file? For me it worked.

so there's a stanza in the spec-file that says

#  Allow override of sysconfdir via _slurm_sysconfdir.
#  Note 'global' instead of 'define' needed here to work around apparent
#   bug in rpm macro scoping (or something...)
%{!?_slurm_sysconfdir: %global _slurm_sysconfdir /etc/slurm}
%define _sysconfdir %_slurm_sysconfdir

so there would appear to be a known, in the Rumsfeld sense, issue there.

Add to that, that the build wrapper for Slurm on our Cray XCs, has

rpmbuild --with cray --with lua --define "_slurm_sysconfdir /etc/opt/slurm" \
   ... other stuff ...

and it all points to what Jurgen said being likely to fix the issue
you are seeing, if not explaining why you are only seeing it now.

HTH,
Kevin