[slurm-users] Setting up a reactivity margin with SLURM

mercan ahmet.mercan at uhem.itu.edu.tr
Mon May 23 09:22:56 UTC 2022

Hi;

Because of the same reasons as you said, I don't use slurm power saving
features. I want to keep a certain number of nodes always power on and
ready to run. The Slurm settings are very limited, just SuspendExcNodes
and SuspendExcParts parameters are exist. But SuspendExcNodes totally
useless. When you set SuspendExcNodes, these nodes always open and
probably busy. When these nodes are busy, there aren't any idle nodes
for instant run.

We use a cron script to power off and on idle nodes. It keeps a certain
number of idle nodes always open.  Also, it decides this certain number
according to prediction of the load of cluster, from the history of the
load of the cluster.

But, there is a problem for this approach: Slurm and the users can not
understand which nodes are down for power saving or other reasons. To
solve this issue, My spart command (https://github.com/mercanca/spart)
which using to show queues (free cpus and nodes info), have a feature
that shows power-saving nodes as idle.

This script is not written for publishing, it is very specific our
environment. But if you want to use (or just to get inspired), I can share.

Regards;

Ahmet M.