[slurm-users] Performance tracking of array tasks

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Mon May 16 14:04:23 UTC 2022

Hi William,

William Dear <william.dear at i3-corps.com> writes:

> Could anyone please recommend methods of tracking the performance of individual tasks in a task array job?  I have installed XDMoD but it is focused solely on the Job level with no information about
> tasks.
>
> My users almost exclusively use task arrays to run embarrassingly parallel jobs.  After the job is complete I would like to see run time and peak RAM usage per task so that we can correctly size the
> reservations for future jobs.  It would also be very helpful to break this down by node so that I can identify poorly performing nodes.
>
> William Dear

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'task array job'.  A job can have
multiple tasks within it - I don't think you will be able to get data on
such individual tasks very easily.  However, a job array is just a sort
of convenient wrapper around a bunch of jobs.  Each element of a job
array still has its own job ID, so you can extract job data the same way
you do for a non-array job.

Cheers,

Loris

--