[slurm-users] GrpTRESMins and GrpTRESRaw usage

Bjørn-Helge Mevik b.h.mevik at usit.uio.no
Thu Jun 23 10:39:27 UTC 2022

Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk> writes:

> Hi Bjørn-Helge,

Hello, Ole! :)

> On 6/23/22 09:18, Bjørn-Helge Mevik wrote:
>
>> Slurm the same internal variables are used for fairshare calculations as
>> for GrpTRESMins (and similar), so when fair share priorities are in use,
>> slurm will reduce accumulated GrpTRESMins over time.  This means that it
>> is impossible(*) to use GrpTRESMins limits and fairshare
>> priorities at the same time.
>
> This is a surprising observation!

I discovered it quite a few years ago, when we wanted to use Slurm to
enforce cpu hour quota limits (instead of using Maui+Gold).  Can't
remember anymore if I was surprised or just sad. :D

> We use a 14 days HalfLife in slurm.conf:
> PriorityDecayHalfLife=14-0
>
> Since our longest running jobs can run only 7 days, maybe our limits
> never get reduced as you describe?

The accumulated usage is reduced every 5 minutes (by default; see
PriorityCalcPeriod).  The reduction is done by multiplying the
accumulated usage by a number slightly less than 1.  The number is
chosen so that the accumulated usage is reduced to 50 % after
PriorityDecayHalfLife (given that you don't run anything more in
between, of course).  With a halflife of 14 days and the default calc
period, that number is very close to 1 (0.9998281 if my calculations are
correct :).

Note: I read all about these details on the schedmd web pages some years
ago.  I cannot find them again (the parts about the multiplication with
a number smaller than 1 to get the half life), so I might be wrong on
some of the details.

> BTW, I've written a handy script for displaying user limits in a
> readable format:
> https://github.com/OleHolmNielsen/Slurm_tools/tree/master/showuserlimits

Nice!

--