[slurm-users] Users do not have local groups when in a SLURM session (but do when 'su-ed')

Will Furnell - STFC UKRI will.furnell at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 08:47:34 UTC 2022

Hello,

We're facing a really weird issue that unfortunately we are completely stuck on. It appears that when users are running a job through SLURM they don't have the systems local groups applied to their user. They DO have the local groups if I 'su' to the user on the compute node. They also DO have the local groups if I do `id user1` when logged in as that user - but as far as the system is concerned they don't have these groups for reading/writing files etc.

I have read through the thread here: https://groups.google.com/g/slurm-users/c/r4DyJqgduAc which is exactly the same issue as mine but I can't see that it was resolved unfortunately. If anyone has any ideas of what I could try (I've tried initgroups as shown here as well with no luck: https://groups.google.com/g/slurm-users/c/ZTyIO_lYxac/m/4PAd_ykTAgAJ) that would be very much appreciated please!

The groups that _are_ shown are from Active Directory, through SSSD. Below I show some sample output that may assist with debugging and help explain my issue,

[user1 at ui-host~]$ salloc
salloc: Granted job allocation 530
bash-4.2$ id
uid=1003353(user1) gid=1003353 groups=1003353,1851018(SCARFFILEASR92),1851500(adhoc_storage),1851501(analysis_computers),1851502(fileserver),1851504(node_provisioning)
bash-4.2$ hostname
octocn01.nubes.stfc.ac.uk

Interestingly, if I do `id user1` here then I DO get the output below. !?

[root at octocn01 ~]# su user1
bash-4.2$ id
uid=1003353(user1) gid=1003353 groups=1003353,1001(octopus_scarf_rwR92),9999(will_test),1851018(SCARFFILEASR92),1851500(adhoc_storage),1851501(analysis_computers),1851502(fileserver),1851504(node_provisioning)

cat /etc/group on octocn01
octopus_scarf_rwR92:x:1001:user1
will_test:x:9999:user1

Thank you very much,

Will Furnell.

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.