[slurm-users] Help with failing job execution

Otto, Frank f.otto at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 2 18:43:42 UTC 2022

Hi Jeff & list,

we've encountered the same problem after upgrade to 21.08.8-2.  All jobs failed with "Slurmd could not execve job".
I've traced this down to the slurmstepd process failing to modify the cgroup setting "memory.memsw.limit_in_bytes",
which happens because we have "ConstrainSwapSpace=yes" in Slurm's cgroup.conf file.
The error happens on Debian/Ubuntu systems as they don't turn on cgroup swap accounting by default.
The fix is to boot with the option "swapaccount=1" (i.e. add this to the grub/pxelinux/... boot config),
or one could set "ConstrainSwapSpace=no" if swap accounting is not needed.

In my understanding, with our config this error should also have shown up in previous
versions of Slurm. Perhaps it did happen, but wasn't caught properly.

BTW, what's the correct process to see the debug messages from slurmstepd?  Even when running slurmd
with "-D -vvvvv", these didn't show up.  I resorted to running slurmd in strace, in order to see where the
error happens, and it revealed that slurmstepd was printing some messages. But strace has a lot of overhead.

Regards,
Frank

(apologies for breaking threading, I wasn't subscribed to slurm-users at the time and can't reply properly)