[slurm-users] slurmctld hanging

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 29 05:57:41 UTC 2022

Hi Byron,

byron <lbgpublic at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Loris - about a second

What is the use-case for that?  Are these individual jobs or it a job
array.  Either way it sounds to me like a very bad idea.  On our system,
jobs which can start immediately because resources are available, still
take a few seconds to start running (I'm looking at the values for
'submit' and 'start' from 'sacct').  If a one-second job has to wait for
just a minute, the ration of wait-time to run-time is already
disproportionately large.

Why doesn't the user bundle these individual jobs together?  Depending
on your maximum run-time and to what degree jobs can make use of
backfill, I would tell the user something between a single job and
maybe 100 job.  I certainly wouldn't allow one-second jobs in any
significant numbers on our system.

I think having a job starting every second is causing your slurmdbd to
timeout and that is the error you are seeing.

Regards

Loris