[slurm-users] Deb packages for Ubuntu

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu Jul 21 08:29:36 UTC 2022

Hi Luis,

On Wed, 2022-07-20 at 16:03:00 -0700, Luis Huang wrote:
> In the past we've been using Centos 7 with slurm.spec file provided by
> schedmd to build the rpms. This is working great where we can deploy the
> rpms and perform upgrades via puppet.
>
> As we are moving to Ubuntu. I noticed there are some repositories that
> provide prepackaged files such as slurm-wlm and slurm-llnl. However these
> are running much older versions of slurm.
>
> I tried making our own deb files but unfortunately this would package
> everything into one deb(slurmctld, slurmd etc). This isn't really clean and
> I would prefer to break it down to individual components.
>
> Does anyone else have tips to share for building and breaking down each
> component?

If there haven't been major changes in filenames, what about taking the
latest available source package (debian/ tree) from either Ubuntu or
Debian, rebasing it on the tarball of your chosen version, and adapting
(basically changelog entry, perhaps copyright)?
That would preserve the package structure and dependencies as much as
possible...

HTH, Steffen

PS. You probably will setup the database from scratch?