[slurm-users] Allow SFTP on a specific compute node

Burian, John John.Burian at nationwidechildrens.org
Tue Jul 12 11:59:35 UTC 2022

Outside the context of slurm, you could add exceptions to /etc/security/access.conf. This depends on where pam_access.so appears in /etc/pam.d/sshd. I believe we’re using the config recommended in the pam_slurm_adopt documentation. There are a number of caveats: you need system root to configure it, not just slurm admin; it will allow SSH not just SFTP; pam_access.so appears in other PAM configurations, so be careful what else you’re allowing; it’s inconvenient if the set of users or set of nodes changes with any frequency.

We use this mechanism, and it works for us, because the users we’re allowing to bypass pam_slurm_adopt are HPC staff, not users.

John