[slurm-users] How to limit # of execution slots for a given node

David Henkemeyer david.henkemeyer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 21:39:26 UTC 2022

All,

When my team used PBS, we had several nodes that had a TON of CPUs, so
many, in fact, that we ended up setting np to a smaller value, in order to
not starve the system of memory.

What is the best way to do this with Slurm?  I tried modifying # of CPUs in
the slurm.conf file, but I noticed that Slurm enforces that "CPUs" is equal
to Boards * SocketsPerBoard * CoresPerSocket * ThreadsPerCore.  This left
me with having to "fool" Slurm into thinking there were either fewer
ThreadsPerCore, fewer CoresPerSocket, or fewer SocketsPerBoard.  This is a
less than ideal solution, it seems to me.  At least, it left me feeling
like there has to be a better way.

Thanks!
David