[slurm-users] monitoring and update regime for Power Saving nodes

David Simpson SimpsonD4 at cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 09:20:04 UTC 2022

Hi Brian,

>>For monitoring, I use a combination of netdata+prometheus. Data is gathered whenever the nodes are up and stored for history. Yes, when the nodes are powered down, there are empty gaps, but that is interpreted as the node is powered down.

Ah time-series will cope much better - at the moment our monitoring system (for compute node health at least) is nagios-like, hence the problem. Though there’s potential the entire cluster’s stack may change at some point, so this problem will be more easy to deal with (with a change of monitoring system for node health).

>>For the config, I have no access to DNS for configless so I use a symlink to the slurm.conf file a shared filesystem. This works great. Anytime there are changes, a simple 'scontrol reconfigure' brings all running nodes up to speed and any down nodes will automatically read the latest.

Yes, currently we use file based and config written to the compute node’s disks themselves via ansible. Perhaps we will consider moving the file to a shared fs.

regards
David

-------------
David Simpson - Senior Systems Engineer
ARCCA, Redwood Building,
King Edward VII Avenue,
Cardiff, CF10 3NB

David Simpson - peiriannydd uwch systemau
ARCCA, Adeilad Redwood,
King Edward VII Avenue,
Caerdydd, CF10 3NB

simpsond4 at cardiff.ac.uk<mailto:simpsond4 at cardiff.ac.uk>