[slurm-users] MPI Jobs OOM-killed which weren't pre-21.08.5

Paul Brunk pbrunk at uga.edu
Mon Feb 14 14:17:55 UTC 2022

Hi:

Thanks for your feedback guys :).

We continue to find srun behaving properly re: core placement.

BTW, we've further established that only MVAPICH (and therefore also Intel MPI) jobs are encountering the OOM issue.

==
Paul Brunk, system administrator
Georgia Advanced Resource Computing Center
Enterprise IT Svcs, the University of Georgia

Paul Edmon wrote:

We also noticed the same thing with 21.08.5.  In the 21.08 series SchedMD changed the way they handle cgroups to set the stage for cgroups v2 (see: https://slurm.schedmd.com/SLUG21/Roadmap.pdf).  The 21.08.5 introduced a bug fix which then caused mpirun to not pin properly (particularly for older versions of MPI): https://github.com/SchedMD/slurm/blob/slurm-21-08-5-1/NEWS  What we've recommended to users who have hit this was to swap over to using srun instead of mpirun and the situation clears up.
-Paul Edmon-