[slurm-users] Possible to have a node in two partitions with N cores in one partition and M cores in the other?

Paul Brunk pbrunk at uga.edu
Fri Feb 11 21:27:12 UTC 2022

Hi:

The below might be a starting point.  There could be syntax or core
concept errors :).

- Make two partitions.  Both of them contain all nodes of interest:
  bigger_p
  smaller_p

- Make two reservations, like
   scontrol create reservationname=20core_res Partition=bigger_p  CoreCnt=20
   scontrol create reservationname=16core_res Partition=smaller_p CoreCnt=16

- Tell the users, or job_submit.lua, to have 'bigger_p' jobs
  request '20core_res', and 'smaller_p' jobs request '16core_res'

For ACL and/or granular resource limit control, you could make
bigger_qos and smaller_qos, and define those as 'QOS' in the matching
PartitionName entries.  Then add whatever ACL or limits you want to
those QOSes.  Or use the PartitionName entries if the available
options suffice.

--
Paul Brunk, system administrator
Georgia Advanced Resource Computing Center