[slurm-users] slurmctld/slurmdbd filesystem/usermap requirements

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu Feb 10 11:25:31 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-02-10 at 11:59:58 +0100, Diego Zuccato wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Does slurmctld (or slurmdbd) need to access the same filesystems used on
> submit nodes? Or they just receive the needed information in the request?
>
> Does slurmctld need read access to /home/userA/myjob.sh or does it receive
> the job script as a "blob" or as a path? Does it even need to know userA's
> GID or will it simply use 'userA' to lookup associations in dbd?

Looking into one of our Slurm installations (pre-installed):
- file systems must not be shared with the machine running the dbd/ctld,
  the job script is copied into a subdirectory of /var/spool/slurm on
  the exec node (but I can't say for sure who does this)
- UIDs are reported by the ctld so they "should" be identical for the
  controller and submit machines (and the execute ones, of course) -
  I never saw GIDs mentioned though.

Does this help?

- Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald, Cluster Administrator
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute)