[slurm-users] Compute nodes cycling from idle to down on a regular basis ?

Tina Friedrich tina.friedrich at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 10:41:58 UTC 2022

Hi Jeremy,

I haven't got anything very intelligent to contribute to solve your problem.

However, what I can tell you is that we run our production cluster with
one SLURM master running on a virtual machine handling just over 300
nodes. We have never seen the sort of problem you have other than when
there was a problem contacting the nodes.

The VM running slurmctld doesn't get any tuning, it's a stock CentOS 8
server. No increase any caching (ARP or otherwise) on the master. I just
checked and I don't even think I'm doing anything special about process
or memory limits for the user the SLURM proceses run as.

I have - from time to time - have the controller go unresponsive for a
moment, but that's usually to do with lots of prologs/epilogs happening
at the same time, and it does not cause node status to flap like that.

So unless you have indications of load on your master being very high or
memory pressure on the master, I wouldn't suspect the master not coping
for this.

(I don't do host files, I use DNS. But that really shouldn't make a
difference.)

A lot of people have said name resolution - and yes, that could - but
I'm actually also wondering if you might have a network problem
somewhere? Ethernet, I mean? Congestion, or corrupted packages?
Multipathing or path failover or spanning tree going wrong or flapping?

Tina

--
Tina Friedrich, Advanced Research Computing Snr HPC Systems Administrator

Research Computing and Support Services
IT Services, University of Oxford
http://www.arc.ox.ac.uk http://www.it.ox.ac.uk