[slurm-users] Stopping new jobs but letting old ones end

Sid Young sid.young at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 05:18:00 UTC 2022

Sid Young
W: https://off-grid-engineering.com
W: (personal) https://sidyoung.com/
W: (personal) https://z900collector.wordpress.com/

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 3:02 PM Christopher Samuel <chris at csamuel.org> wrote:

> On 1/31/22 4:41 pm, Sid Young wrote:
>
> > I need to replace a faulty DIMM chim in our login node so I need to stop
> > new jobs being kicked off while letting the old ones end.
> >
> > I thought I would just set all nodes to drain to stop new jobs from
> > being kicked off...
>
> That would basically be the way, but is there any reason why compute
> jobs shouldn't start whilst the login node is down?

My concern was to keep the running jobs going and stop new jobs, so when
the last running job ends,
 I could reboot the login node knowing that any terminal windows
"screen"/"tmux" sessions would effectively
have ended as the job(s) had now ended

I'm not sure if there was an accepted procedure or best practice way to
tackle shutting down the Login node for this use case.

On the bright side I am down to two jobs left so any day now :)

Sid