[slurm-users] CPUSpecList confusion

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 13 14:40:47 UTC 2022

Oh but that does explain the CfgTRES=cpu=14.  With the CpuSpecList
below and SlurmdOffSpec I do get CfgTRES=cpu=50 so that makes sense.

The issue remains that thought the number of cpus in CpuSpecList
is taken into account, the exact IDs seem to be ignored.

-- Paul Raines (http://help.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu)

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 9:34am, Paul Raines wrote:

> I have tried it both ways with the same result.  The assigned CPUs
> will be both in and out of the range given to CpuSpecList
>
> I tried setting using commas instead of ranges so used
>
> CpuSpecList=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13
>
> But still does not work
>
> $ srun -p basic -N 1 --ntasks-per-node=1 --mem=25G \
> --time=10:00:00 --cpus-per-task=8 --pty /bin/bash
> $ grep -i ^cpu /proc/self/status
> Cpus_allowed:   00000780,00000780
> Cpus_allowed_list:      7-10,39-42
>

> -- Paul Raines (http://help.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu)
>

> On Mon, 12 Dec 2022 10:21am, Sean Maxwell wrote:
>
>>  Hi Paul,
>>
>>  Nodename=foobar \
>>>     CPUs=64 Boards=1 SocketsPerBoard=2 CoresPerSocket=16 ThreadsPerCore=2
>>>     \
>>>     RealMemory=256312 MemSpecLimit=32768 CpuSpecList=14-63 \
>>>     TmpDisk=6000000 Gres=gpu:nvidia_rtx_a6000:1
>>>
>>>  The slurm.conf also has:
>>>
>>>  ProctrackType=proctrack/cgroup
>>>  TaskPlugin=task/affinity,task/cgroup
>>>  TaskPluginParam=Cores,*SlurmdOf**fSpec*,Verbose
>>>

>>  Doesn't setting SlurmdOffSpec tell Slurmd that is should NOT use the CPUs
>>  in the spec list? (
>>  https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html#OPT_SlurmdOffSpec)
>>  In this case, I believe it uses what is left, which is the 0-13. We are
>>  just starting to work on this ourselves, and were looking at this setting.
>>
>>  Best,
>>
>>  -Sean

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Mass General Brigham Compliance HelpLine at https://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline <https://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline> .
Please note that this e-mail is not secure (encrypted).  If you do not wish to continue communication over unencrypted e-mail, please notify the sender of this message immediately.  Continuing to send or respond to e-mail after receiving this message means you understand and accept this risk and wish to continue to communicate over unencrypted e-mail.