[slurm-users] srun --mem issue

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 8 08:57:56 UTC 2022

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Moshe Mergy <moshe.mergy at weizmann.ac.il> writes:
>
>> Hi Sandor
>>
>> I personnaly block "--mem=0" requests in file job_submit.lua (slurm 20.02):
>>
>>   if (job_desc.min_mem_per_node == 0  or  job_desc.min_mem_per_cpu == 0) then
>>         slurm.log_info("%s: ERROR: unlimited memory requested", log_prefix)
>>         slurm.log_info("%s: ERROR: job %s from user %s rejected because of an invalid (unlimited) memory request.", log_prefix, job_desc.name, job_desc.user_name)
>>         slurm.log_user("Job rejected because of an invalid memory request.")
>>         return slurm.ERROR
>>    end
>
> What happens if somebody explicitly requests all the memory, so in
> Sandor's case --mem=500G ?
>
>> Maybe there is a better or nicer solution...

Can't you just use account and QOS limits:

  https://slurm.schedmd.com/resource_limits.html

?

And anyway, what is the use-case for preventing someone using all the
memory? In our case, if someone really need all the memory, they should be able
to have it.

However, I do have a chronic problem with users requesting too much
memory. My approach has been to try to get people to use 'seff' to see
what resources their jobs in fact need.  In addition each month we
generate a graphical summary of 'seff' data for each user, like the one
shown here

  https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/high-performance-computing/Dokumentation/Statistik

and automatically send an email to those with a large percentage of
resource-inefficient jobs telling them to look at their graphs and
correct their resource requirements for future jobs.

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Herr/Mr)