[slurm-users] Licenses: Remote vs Reservation

Richard Ems r.ems at gmx.net
Thu Dec 1 13:46:34 UTC 2022

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply.
Yes, the cluster is not large, perhaps medium sized? What is considered for
Slurm a small/medium/large cluster?

I think I would go for the remote license method, to avoid what you
mentioned about keeping the slurm.conf consistent on all nodes. It works
fine if all nodes are up, but what when nodes are down and come back up
with an outdated slurm.conf? Syncing on boot the current slurm.conf could
perhaps be an option.

This should work as it does now with local licenses: jobs get submitted and
stay pending until the needed licenses become available. No need for
license tracking.

The reservation method can cause an sbatch command to be rejected, if that
> is what you are looking for.

How so? If all licenses on the reservation are in use, will then a new job
requesting one of these licenses get rejected and not stay pending in the
queue?
Then clearly no, that is not what we are looking for!

Many thanks,
Richard