[slurm-users] Suspend without gang scheduling

Reed Dier reed.dier at focusvq.com
Mon Aug 8 19:51:49 UTC 2022

Following up with a bit more specific color as to what I’m seeing, as well as a solution that I’m ashamed I didn’t come back to it.

If there is exclusively tier3 work queued up, gang scheduling never comes into play.
If there is tier3+tier1 work queued up, tier1 gets requeued, and tier3 preempts as expected.
If enough work is queued in tier3 that it then triggers a suspend preemption in tier2, thats when things fall over and gang scheduling starts happening inside of tier3 queue.

So the issue seems to have stemmed from my use of OverSubscribe=FORCE:1 in my tier3 partition (separate from the tier1/2 partition).
This was set in anticipation of increasing the forced oversubscription limit in the future, but wanting to keep oversubscription “off” for now.
However, by setting OverSubscribe=NO on the tier3 partition, and leaving OverSubscribe=FORCE:1 on the tier1/2 partition.

So, this gets me to where I wanted to be in the first place, which is tier3 not gang scheduling, while still allowing tier1/tier2 to be requeued/suspended.
So I answered my own question, and hopefully someone will benefit from this.

Reed