[slurm-users] --with-pmix

Simon Leary simonleary at umass.edu
Tue Aug 2 00:17:14 UTC 2022

https://slurm.schedmd.com/srun.html#OPT_pmix
"""
To enable PMIx support (https://pmix.github.io). The PMIx support in Slurm
can be used to launch parallel applications (e.g. MPI) if it supports PMIx,
PMI2 or PMI1. Slurm must be configured with pmix support by passing
"--with-pmix=<PMIx installation path>" option to its "./configure" script.
At the time of writing PMIx is supported in Open MPI starting from version
2.0. PMIx also supports backward compatibility with PMI1 and PMI2 and can
be used if MPI was configured with PMI2/PMI1 support pointing to the PMIx
library ("libpmix"). If MPI supports PMI1/PMI2 but doesn't provide the way
to point to a specific implementation, a hack'ish solution leveraging
LD_PRELOAD can be used to force "libpmix" usage.
"""
is this saying that both slurm and openmpi need to be configured
`--with-pmix` to use openmpi with slurm? If `pmix` is not listed in `srun
--mpi=list`, but my openmpi was configured with `--with-pmix`, should I
expect to get the following error?
```
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** on a NULL communicator
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (processes in this communicator will now abort,
***    and potentially your MPI job)
[cpu010:4014618] Local abort before MPI_INIT completed completed
successfully, but am not able to aggregate error messages, and not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
```

thanks,
Simon