[slurm-users] Suspending jobs for file system maintenance

Juergen Salk juergen.salk at uni-ulm.de
Mon Oct 25 14:42:08 UTC 2021

Hi Alan and Paul,

I can't clain to be a Lustre guru but my understanding is that Lustre
failover does not imply umount/mount of the file system on the client
side. On the client side the OSTs just stall until they are back. So
open file handles should actually be kept during that process.
However, we were still unsure whether any running application would
survive an inaccessible file system, even if it is only temporarily
gone, and (in this specific case) we were also unsure how long it will
take for the failover to succeed.

I do not think that jobs will timeout while suspended though, as
Slurm does not count the time spent in suspend against the job's
walltime. So suspending jobs do not "steal" walltime from the jobs.

Best regards
Jürgen

* Paul Edmon <pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu> [211025 08:59]: