[slurm-users] issue with mpirun when using through slurm / pmix

Bas van der Vlies bas.vandervlies at surf.nl
Thu Oct 21 15:51:35 UTC 2021

At our side we also add this problem that the pmix lib was compiled with
munge support.  We solved it by setting this environment variable:
  *  export PMIX_MCA_psec=native  of export PMIX_MCA_psec=none

Regard,

Bas

On 21/10/2021 16:59, Pankaj Dorlikar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When using slurm-20.11.7 compiled with pmix-3.2.3,  and job is submitted
> like below :
>
> srun -N 1 -c 2 --pty /bin/bash
>
> on the allocated compute node, when I execute the below command, I get
> the PMI error with return value -46
>
> mpirun -c 2 /bin/hostname

> A requested component was not found, or was unable to be opened.  This
>
> means that this component is either not installed or is unable to be
>
> used on your system (e.g., sometimes this means that shared libraries
>
> that the component requires are unable to be found/loaded).  Note that
>
> PMIX stopped checking at the first component that it did not find.
>
> Host: cnode9
>
> Framework: psec
>
> Component: munge

> It looks like pmix_init failed for some reason; your parallel process is
>
> likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
>
> fail during pmix_init; some of which are due to configuration or
>
> environment problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure;
>
> here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
>
> PMIX developer):
>
>    pmix_psec_base_open failed
>
>    --> Returned value -46 instead of PMIX_SUCCESS

> [cnode9:2708617] PMIX ERROR: NOT-FOUND in file server/pmix_server.c at
> line 237

> [ C-DAC is on Social-Media too. Kindly follow us at:
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CDACINDIA & Twitter: @cdacindia ]
>
> This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
> contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
> all copies and the original message. Any unauthorized review, use,
> disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email
> is strictly prohibited and appropriate legal action will be taken.

Bas van der Vlies
| HPCV Supercomputing | Internal Services  | SURF |
https://userinfo.surfsara.nl |
| Science Park 140 | 1098 XG Amsterdam | Phone: +31208001300 |