[slurm-users] Warning: can't honor --ntasks-per-node

Bjørn-Helge Mevik b.h.mevik at usit.uio.no
Wed Nov 17 08:01:03 UTC 2021

Ginés Guerrero <gguerrero at nlhpc.cl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> If I submit this script:
>
>     #!/bin/bash
>     #SBATCH --get-user-env
>     #SBATCH -p slims
>     #SBATCH -N 2
>     #SBATCH -n 40
>     #SBATCH --ntasks-per-node=20
>     #SBATCH -o log
>     #SBATCH -e log
>
>     /bin/env
>
>     srun hostname
>
> I get the warning: “can't honor --ntasks-per-node set to 20 which
> doesn't match the requested tasks 40 with the number of requested
> nodes 1. Ignoring –ntasks-per-node”.

Are you using IntelMPI?  I've seen this type of warning in some
situations with IntelMPI.  In all our cases, "srun hostname" or "mpirun
hostname" shows that it *does* honor --ntasks-per-node.  (So we
generally just ask our users to check with "srun hostname", and ignore
the warning if it works as expected.)

--
Regards,
Bjørn-Helge Mevik, dr. scient,