[slurm-users] enable_configless, srun and DNS vs. hosts file

Mark Dixon mark.c.dixon at durham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 14:00:08 UTC 2021

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the thought but no, we'd restarted all slurmctld, slurmdbd and
slurmd daemons since changing any of the slurm config files.

I have a very cut-down slurm.conf on the non-slurmctld nodes, which seems
to be consulted when running srun (regardless of whether slurmd is running
or not).

Removing the simplified NodeName lines from the cut-down slurm.conf causes
srun to immediately return to its "can't find address for host" behaviour
I outlined at the start. Seen this both on clients running slurmd and
those that don't.

The cut-down slurm.conf is slowly growing: I've found that I also need to
add GresTypes, otherwise srun/sbatch don't know what users can put in
their "--gres" flag and so reject it. I guess at least that makes sense -
the tools need to get that information from somewhere.

Interesting!

Best,

Mark