[slurm-users] How to checkout a slurm node?

Joe Teumer joe.teumer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 17:57:23 UTC 2021

I'm replying to the submission email, hopefully it works...

Thank you, the slurm reservation may be what we need.

The con is that scontrol is an admin utility and we would like the users to
manage their own reservations.
We would have to allow users access to scontrol.

Some context:
We have users utilizing slurm in 2 ways:

   1. automated
      1. using sbatch scripts
      2. jobs are scheduled and queued
      3. Prologslurmctld handles the following:
         1. automatically configures the node
         2. sets and verifies user BIOS settings using information from the
         sbatch script
         3. rebooting the node to have BIOS settings take effect
      2. interactive
      1. using salloc/srun commands to start a interactive bash terminal
      2. Users can use a remote KVM to directly access the node
      3. The direct access allows for reboots, entering the BIOS, running
      jobs via the KVM or SSH or SRUN

What kind of BIOS settings would a user need to change?

   1. F Clock, U Clock, Mem Clock, C states, Virtualization settings, and
   much more...