[slurm-users] What happened to accounting_storage/filetxt?

Stuart Barkley stuartb at 4gh.net
Mon Nov 1 23:31:56 UTC 2021

I think this is my first time posting here.  Like some others I
recognize from the old Grid Engine mailing list we are planning to
move from Grid Engine to Slurm.

We had an old minimal test environment that I have been recently
updating and I notice that AccountingStorageType=accounting_storage/filetxt
has disappeared.

It is documented in https://slurm.schedmd.com/archive/slurm-20.02.7/slurm.conf.html
but seems to have disappeared in https://slurm.schedmd.com/archive/slurm-20.11.0/slurm.conf.html .

I can't find any mention in this mailing list about the change.  The
release notes at https://slurm.schedmd.com/archive/slurm-20.11.0/news.html
are for an older version of Slurm.

Was there a reason for the removal of the file based accounting?  We
are just starting to look at how Slurm can handle our accounting needs
but have some initial concerns about the database accounting storage:

* Is the record format for the database storage documented anywhere?
I don't seem to be able to find it.

* What size do people find suitable for the database?  We often get
500K to over 1M accounting records per week in Grid Engine.

* What cleans data out of the accounting database?

* Can the data be archived for long term storage?  We sometimes find
it useful to revisit accounting from 12 or more years ago.

I will probably be coming back with additional questions.  Previous
work has mostly been experimental but we now seem serious about
converting to Slurm.

Thanks,
Stuart Barkley
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone