[slurm-users] rejecting jobs that exceed QOS limits

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Sat May 29 02:48:11 UTC 2021

I want to dedicate one of our GPU servers for testing where
users are only allowed to run 1 job at a time using 1 GPU and
8 cores of the server.  So I put one server in a partition on its
own and setup a QOS for it as follows:

  sacctmgr add qos gputest
  sacctmgr modify qos gputest set priority=20
  sacctmgr modify qos gputest set MaxJobsPerUser=1
  sacctmgr modify qos gputest set MaxTRESPerUser=cpu=8,gres/gpu=1
  sacctmgr show qos format=name,priority,MaxTRESPerUser,MaxJobsPerUser

In slurm.conf I have:

AccountingStorageEnforce=safe,qos
AccountingStorageTRES=Billing,CPU,Energy,Mem,Node,FS/Disk,Pages,VMem,gres/gpu
EnforcePartLimits=ALL

This works but when I submit a job asking for 2 more more GPUs, instead
of being immediate rejected it queues but never runs. Same if I
ask for more than 8 cores

Is there a way to get it immediately rejected?