[slurm-users] OpenMPI interactive change in behavior?

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Fri May 28 04:57:16 UTC 2021

On Monday, 26 April 2021 2:12:41 PM PDT John DeSantis wrote:

> Furthermore,
> searching the mailing list suggests that the appropriate method is to use
> `salloc` first, despite version 17.11.9 not needing `salloc` for an
> "interactive" sessions.

Before 20.11 with salloc you needed to set a SallocDefaultCommand to use srun
to push the session over on to a compute node, and then you needed to set a
bunch of things to prevent that srun from consuming resources that the
subsequent srun's would need.  That was especially annoying when you were
dealing with GPUs as you would need to "srun" anything that needed to access
them (when you used cgroups to control access).

With 20.11 there's a new "use_interactive_step" option that uses similar
trickery, except Slurm handles not consuming those resources for you and
handles GPUs correctly.

So for your 20.11 system I would recommend giving salloc and the
"use_interactive_step" option a go and see if it helps.

All the best,
Chris
--
  Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA