[slurm-users] pam_slurm_adopt not working for all users

Lloyd Brown lloyd_brown at byu.edu
Thu May 27 16:08:04 UTC 2021

While that's absolutely a significant issue, here's how we solved it,
despite still using user keys. This basically assures that while people
can SSH around with keys within our cluster, they get into the login
nodes using SSH keys.  Combine that with the required enrollment in 2FA,
and I think we're doing decently well.

Network routing rules and switch ACLs prevent users from getting into
the non-login nodes from outside the cluster.

(excerpt from sshd_config on login nodes only - It's much simpler on
non-login nodes):

> # default behavior - disallow PubKeyAuthentication
> PubKeyAuthentication no
>
> # default behavior - force people to the "you must enroll in 2FA"
> message, and then exit
> ForceCommand /usr/local/bin/2fa_notice.sh
>
> #All users enrolled in 2FA, are part of the twofactusers group
> Match group twofactusers
>         ForceCommand none
>
> #Allow PubKeyAuthentication for subnets that are internal to the cluster
> Match Address ListOfClusterInternalSubnets
>         PubKeyAuthentication yes

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Brown