[slurm-users] pam_slurm_adopt not working for all users

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Thu May 27 08:11:36 UTC 2021

Ward Poelmans <ward.poelmans at vub.be> writes:

> On 27/05/2021 08:19, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> Thanks for the detailed explanations.  I was obviously completely
>> confused about what MUNGE does.  Would it be possible to say, in very
>> hand-waving terms, that MUNGE performs a similar role for the access of
>> processes to nodes as SSH does for the access of users to nodes?
>
> A tiny bit yes. Munge allows you to authenticate users between servers
> (like a unix socket does within a single machine):
> https://github.com/dun/munge/wiki/Man-7-munge

OK, thanks for the information.  I had already read the man page for
MUNGE, but to me it doesn't make it explicitly clear that MUNGE doesn't,
out of the box, include the possibility to do something like SSH.

Would it be correct to say that, if one were daft enough, one could
build some sort of terminal server on top of MUNGE without using SSH,
but which could then replicate basic SSH behaviour?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Hr./Mr.)