[slurm-users] pam_slurm_adopt not working for all users

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Fri May 21 12:53:41 UTC 2021

Hi,

We have set up pam_slurm_adopt using the official Slurm documentation
and Ole's information on the subject.  It works for a user who has SSH
keys set up, albeit the passphrase is needed:

  $ salloc --partition=gpu --gres=gpu:1 --qos=hiprio --ntasks=1 --time=00:30:00 --mem=100
  salloc: Granted job allocation 7202461
  salloc: Waiting for resource configuration
  salloc: Nodes g003 are ready for job

  $ ssh g003
  Warning: Permanently added 'g003' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
  Enter passphrase for key '/home/loris/.ssh/id_rsa':
  Last login: Wed May  5 08:50:00 2021 from login.curta.zedat.fu-berlin.de

  $ ssh g004
  Warning: Permanently added 'g004' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
  Enter passphrase for key '/home/loris/.ssh/id_rsa':
  Access denied: user loris (uid=182317) has no active jobs on this node.
  Access denied by pam_slurm_adopt: you have no active jobs on this node
  Authentication failed.

If SSH keys are not set up, then the user is asked for a password:

  $ squeue --me
               JOBID PARTITION     NAME     USER ST       TIME  NODES NODELIST(REASON)
             7201647      main test_job nokeylee  R    3:45:24      1 c005
             7201646      main test_job nokeylee  R    3:46:09      1 c005
  $ ssh c005
  Warning: Permanently added 'c005' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
  nokeylee at c005's password:

My assumption was that a user should be able to log into a node on which
that person has a running job without any further ado, i.e. without the
necessity to set up anything else or to enter any credentials.

Is this assumption correct?

If so, how can I best debug what I have done wrong?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Hr./Mr.)