[slurm-users] What is an easy way to prevent users run programs on the master/login node.

Alan Orth alan.orth at gmail.com
Wed May 19 16:00:38 UTC 2021

Regarding setting limits for users on the head node. We had this for years:

# CPU time in minutes
*       -   cpu         30
root    -   cpu         unlimited

But we eventually found that this was even causing long-running jobs like
rsync/scp to fail when users were copying data to the cluster. For a while
I blamed our network people, but then I did some tests and found that it
was the limits that were responsible. I have removed this and other limits
for now but I ruthlessly kill heavy processes that my users run on there. I
will look into using cgroups on the head node.

Cheers,

--
Alan Orth
alan.orth at gmail.com