[slurm-users] [External] Autoset job TimeLimit to fit in a reservation

Renfro, Michael Renfro at tntech.edu
Tue Mar 30 14:18:46 UTC 2021

I'd probably write a shell function that would calculate the time required, and add it as a command-line parameter to sbatch. We do a similar thing for easier interactive shells in our /etc/profile.d folder on the login node:

function hpcshell() {
  srun --partition=interactive $@ --pty bash -i
}

So something like (untested):

weekendjob () {
  WEEKRESEND=$(scontrol show res | head -n1 | awk '{print $3}' | cut -f2 -d= | xargs -I {} date +%s --date "{}" )
  NOW=$(date +%s)
  HOURS=$(((WEEKRESEND - NOW) / 3600))
  sbatch --time=${HOURS}:00:00 $@
}

and:

  weekendjob myjob.sh

could work, with the possible downside that anyone using this early in the reservation period would potentially reserve resources for the entire weekend.