[slurm-users] unable to create directory '/run/user/14325/dconf': Permission denied. dconf will not work properly.

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Wed Mar 17 21:45:42 UTC 2021

I when I use  Emacs in an interactive session started with salloc like
this, for example:

salloc -n 1 -t 5:00:00 --mem-per-cpu=4000 --x11

a bunch of messages like this are spit out in the terminal window:

(emacs:2105): dconf-CRITICAL **: 17:40:01.497: unable to create
directory '/run/user/41266/dconf': Permission denied.  dconf will not
work properly.

When I ssh directly to the same compute node, and start emacs, those
errors aren't produced.

Any ideas why salloc produces those errors? Is it a cgroups thing? I
know emacs isn't a high-priority HPC tool, but I do have users who use
it when editing and debugging code in an interactive sessions - they're
the ones who reported this. These errors seem harmless, but I'd like to
make them go away, if possible.

I've done my share of googling on these error messages, but couldn't
find any solutions that applied to this case.

Any ideas?

--
Prentice