[slurm-users] [External] maxRSS and aveRSS

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Fri Mar 12 21:48:01 UTC 2021

It sounds like your confusing job steps and tasks. For an MPI program,
tasks and MPI ranks are the same thing. A slurm job has multiple steps.
A single job step could have only 1 task, while another step in the same
job can use 1,000 tasks.  When looking at the amount of memory for a
job, the important number is the largest value of MaxRSS for all the job
steps. Why this important? Because if you don't request at least this
much with your --mem specification, your job may fail.

Based on your definition, of aveRSS (I didn't go back and check the
documentation myself), it sounds like you're doing unnecessary math,
since I'm sure Slurm sums up the individual task max. RSS values for
each task to get MaxRSS, and then divides that by the number of tasks to
get the AveRSS.

What you want is the MaxRSS for the job step with the largest value of
MaxRSS. For example, here's a parallel job I ran earlier today:

$ sacct -u pbisbal -o jobid,jobname,MaxRSS,AveRSS

        JobID    JobName     MaxRSS     AveRSS

1100800       mcnp_test

1100800.bat+      batch  20999632K  20999632K

1100800.ext+     extern      1060K       964K

1100800.0         orted  24014384K 9238477482

The real "memory" for this entire job would be 24014384K

Prentice