[slurm-users] SLURM submit policy

Marcel Breyer marcel.breyer at ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Mar 10 14:13:36 UTC 2021

Greetings,

we know about the SLURM configuration option *MaxSubmitJobsPerUser* to
limit the number of jobs a user can submit at a given time.

We would like to have a similar policy that says that the total time for
all jobs of a user cannot exceed a certain time limit.

For example (normal *MaxSubmitJobsPerUser = 2*):

srun --time 10 ...
srun --time 20 ...
srun --time 10 ... <- fails since only 2 jobs are allowed per user

However, we want something like (for a maximum aggregate time of e.g.
40mins):

srun --time 10 ...
srun --time 20 ...
srun --time 10 ...
srun --time 5 ... <- fails since the total job times exceed 40mins

However, another allocation pattern could be:

srun --time 5 ...
srun --time 5 ...
srun --time 5 ...
srun --time 5 ...
srun --time 5 ...
srun --time 5 ...
srun --time 5 ...
srun --time 5 ...
srun --time 5 ... <- fails since the total job times exceed 40mins
(however, after the first job completed, the new job can be submitted
normally)

In essence we would like to have a policy using the FIFO scheduler (such
that we don't have to specify another complex scheduler) such that we
can guarantee that another user has the chance to get access to a
machine after at most X time units (40mins in the example above).

With the *MaxSubmitJobsPerUser *option we would have to allow only a
really small number of jobs (penalizing users that divide their
computation into small sub jobs) or X would be rather large (num_jobs *
max_wall_time).

Is there an option in SLURM  that mimics such a behavior?

With best regards,
Marcel Breyer