[slurm-users] Managing Multiple Dependencies

Renfro, Michael Renfro at tntech.edu
Tue Mar 2 19:41:11 UTC 2021

There may be prettier ways, but this gets the job done. Captures the output from each sbatch command to get a job ID, colon separates the ones in the second group, and removes the trailing colon before submitting the last job:

#!/bin/bash
JOB1=$(sbatch job1.sh | awk '{print $NF}')
echo "Submitted job 1, id ${JOB1}"
JOB2N=""
JOB2N_FILES="job2.sh job3.sh"
for job in ${JOB2N_FILES}; do
  JOB2N="${JOB2N}$(sbatch --dependency=afterok:$JOB1 $job | awk '{print $NF}'):"
  echo "Submitted $job, list is now ${JOB2N}"
done
JOB2N=$(echo ${JOB2N} | sed 's/:$//g')
echo "Submitting last job"
sbatch --dependency=afterok:$JOB2N joblast.sh